Monday, February 19, 2007

FOUR HAIKU from GAGAMBA SA UHAY
by Rogelio G. Mangahas

Illustrations from the book by Albert Gamos

1.
Lingkaw ko’y pigíl:
may gagamba sa uhay,
bilot ang balang.

I hold back my sickle:
spider on stalk has locust
wrapped in its web.

2.
Uha mo't hugong
ng sigwa'y nagkasalpok.
Yakap ka namin.

Your birthcry
and the stormhowl clashed.
We held you tight.





3.
Mike, sa kabaong
mo, hulog ko’y anthurium—
sugatang kabog.

Mike, into your coffin
I cast an anthurium—
my wound echoes.

4.
Maya sa barbed wire,
katitigan ang kosang
hubad sa araw.

Ricebird on barbed wire,
cellmate sunning naked,
catch each other’s stare.

4 Comments:

glenlorndave said...

Hi Marne,

Thanks for sending this link to Banggaan. You are a prolific poet, a very intuitive one.

I noticed the image above your "Mostly in Monsoon Weather" is Santi's cut-out collage, a gift he gave me some years back incorporating my two-level profile within the window opening and some other icons on the wall expressive of my person at that time he created it.

I still have this artwork and quite happy with it. Peggy borrowed it from me for Santi's exhibit at the CCP after he crossed over. -glenn

Marne L. Kilates said...

Hi Glenn,

The cover (the book is still in the works at UP Press) was exactly the reason we first met some two years ago at Oarhouse, to ask your permission as owner of the painting, following a referal by Peggy Bose. There I made friends with some of the artists I admire (you, one of them), and the whole of the Banggaan barkada.

I liked the painting so much (at the time I was searching for a suitable artwork for my book cover) when I saw it at the Santi Retrospective at CCP. I tried to trace where I could find the painting or the electronic copy, and from whom I could get peremission to use it for my book. Krip Yuson pointed me to Ed Cabagnot, who designed the coffee table book on the Exhibit (edited by Krip). Ed was keeping the electornic files for the paintings used in their book. So Ed became my own cover designer, Krip linked me up with Peggy, and I texted or called you and we met at Oarhouse. I hope you remember that blessed (for me) occasion at that artsy, cozy, tipsy place!

And so, when the book comes out, he credits at the Copywright page of the book will read as follows:

Book design by Donato Mejia Alvarez
Cover design by Ed Cabagnot
Cover painting: "Glenn's Innerscape"
by Santiago Bose, courtesy of Glenn Bautista
from his collection
Sketch of the author by Gus Albor

As you can see, it is a handsome book cover, thanks to you, Peggy and Santi.

Thanks for writing,
Marne

Marne L. Kilates said...

Glenn, pahabol:

There is bigger picture in an older post (in January, I think) which features my self-intro for my book Mostly in Monsoon Weather. The painting's provenance & ownership is more prominently acknowledged there.

Of course you and Banggaan will be invited to the launch (I hope in March). We missed you at Heber's birthday where I made the aquaintance of Claro.

Again warmest regards,
Marne

Marne L. Kilates said...

Glenn, 2nd pahabol:

My posting with the bigger picture of the cover design with Santi's painting, and credits, was done in December 2006, with the title of the book as the title of the posting.

Thanks again,
Marne